I would like to get my motorcycle license as a result of passing the course, without taking the RMV Road Test.  How does this work?

If you complete and pass either the Basic or Experienced RiderCourse (including a written knowledge test and riding skills evaluation) and you give us a PHOTOCOPY of your MA Motorcycle Permit, you will get your motorcycle license without the need for the RMV Road Test.  Follow the 3 Steps outlined below:

STEP 1: Register for a Motorcycle Course
Register and Pay for the Basic Rider Course on our web site.
(Note: If you have at least 1,000 miles of recent riding experience and you have your own motorcycle, you can take the Experienced Rider Course rather than the Basic Rider Course)

STEP 2: Get your Permit
Go to the RMV to take the permit test. You need to get 18 out of 25 multiple-choice questions correct to pass.
To study for the permit test, you should read the Motorcycle Operator’s Manual.

You do NOT need an appointment. Get there at least 2 hours before closing time.

You also need to bring the documents that are required for a “REAL ID” or to prove “Lawful Presence”.

You can see the list of required documents on the state web site:

After reading that page, you can then click on the “document checklist”.

The fee for the motorcycle permit is $30.
Tell them that you plan to take a Motorcycle Safety class and pay the motorcycle endorsement fee ($3 per year remaining on your license = $15 for 5 years).
By completing the “Lawful Presence” or “REAL ID” process and paying the motorcycle endorsement fee, you will receive your license in the mail rather than needing to physically visit the RMV to get your motorcycle license once you pass the motorcycle course.

If you are not able to get a permit before your class, you can still take the Basic Rider Course.  Just bring a photocopy of your driver’s license to class.  When you pass the class, we will update the RMV licensing database to tell them when you passed the course.  Then, after the class, go to the RMV to get your permit and complete the “Lawful Presence” or “REAL ID” and payment processes as described above in this “Step 2: Get you Permit” section.  Once you pass the permit test, go back to the RMV counter to upgrade your permit to a motorcycle license.

STEP 3: Give us a PHOTOCOPY of your motorcycle permit or Driver’s License
Bring a PHOTOCOPY of your motorcycle permit to your Basic or Experienced Rider Course. As mentioned above, if you do not have your motorcycle permit, you can still take the Basic Rider Course.  In that case, bring a photocopy of your driver’s license to class.

When you pass the course, Streetwise Cycle School will notify the RMV on their licensing web site.
If your record on the RMV database is clear (i.e. you hold a valid motorcycle permit, you don’t owe money, and you have completed the “Lawful Presence” or “REAL ID” process), they will mail your new Massachusetts Motorcycle License within 7 – 10 business days of passing the course.

Other notes to help make the RMV License process go smoothly:

  1. All unpaid parking violations, Fast Lane violations, outstanding excises taxes, outstanding court warrants, citations or unfulfilled child support obligations must be resolved before an endorsement can be issued.
  2. Make sure that the Registry has your proper mailing address.
  3. If under 18 years of age, you must:
    1. Have a Driver Education Certificate issued by the RMV.
    2. Have held your Cass D or M permit for a minimum of 6 months.

If there are any issues (i.e. you did not provide a copy of your valid driver’s license or motorcycle permit), you will receive a certificate in the mail within 2 weeks of course completion.  This certificate exempts you from the RMV road test.  You must take the certificate and your completion card to the RMV and address any open issues (i.e. get a motorcycle permit, pay outstanding obligations, complete the “Lawful Presence” or “REAL ID” process, pay the motorcycle endorsement fee).


Do I need a motorcycle permit to take the course?

If you do not want to get your license as a result of passing the course, you do not need a permit.

If you would like to obtain your license by taking (and passing) the course, you should get your permit before the course and bring a photocopy of it with you to the first day of class.

If you would like to reserve your spot in a class ASAP to avoid missing a “sold out” class, you can book your reservation for the course prior to getting your permit.  You should make every effort to get your permit before the first class.  If you have a problem obtaining your permit before your class, we can accept a copy of your permit after class on an exception basis.  More information on obtaining your motorcycle permit and license is provided in the first FAQ above.

How much does the course cost?

The Basic Rider Course costs $329.

The Refresher Rider Course costs $250.  This is an opportunity for students who have passed the Basic Rider Course to repeat the Basic Rider Course for more practice on our motorcycle.

The Experienced Rider Course costs $199.

Is Streetwise Cycle School approved by the Massachusetts Rider Education Program (MREP) and the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) ?

Yes, Streetwise Cycle School and its instructors are certified and approved by the Massachusetts Rider Education Program (MREP) and the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV).

Is Streetwise Cycle School certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) ?

Yes, Streetwise Cycle School and its instructors are certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF).

Do I need any experience to take the Basic Rider Course?

You should be able to ride and balance a pedal bicycle.  There is no other experience necessary.

The course does require physical coordination and mental concentration.  Please come to class well rested.

Do I need my own motorcycle or scooter to take the course?

Streetwise Cycle School will provide use of a training motorcycle included as part of the Basic Rider Course tuition.  You do NOT need your own motorcycle to take the Basic Rider Course. For the Experienced Rider Course, you need to use your own motorcycle.

We offer Honda Rebel 250s, Honda Nighthawk 250s, Suzuki DR200SE, Suzuki GZ250s, Kawasaki Eliminator 125s, and Hyosung GT250s:

How should I dress for the motorcycle riding?

You will need the following gear:

  • D.O.T approved helmet (if you don’t own a helmet, you can borrow one of ours)
  • eye protection (eye glasses or sun glasses are fine)
  • Sturdy over-the-ankle footwear (work boots, hiking boots are good. Sneakers are NOT allowed.). Footwear must cover your ankles.
  • full-fingered gloves
  • long sleeve shirt or jacket
  • long pants (jeans without flared bottoms and without holes in them would be fine)

Also, you should dress in layers so that you can add/subtract layers as the temperature changes throughout the day.  If rain is in the forecast, you should bring rain gear.

What if I do not own a helmet?

If you do not own a helmet, you can borrow one from us.  If you own a D.O.T.  helmet, you can use your own.

Can I take the course even though I am under 18 years old?

Yes, you may take the course. You will need to have a waiver form signed by a parent or legal guardian.  Please print out this online waiver form, have it signed by your parent or legal guardian, and bring it to class with you.

Waiver Form Printing Instructions

I noticed that your registration form asks if my leg inseam is less than 26 inches.  Can I still take the course if my inseam is less than 26 inches?

If your leg inseam is less than 26 inches, call us at 781-974-2474.  We will make arrangements for you to come down to our training site and sit on our motorcycles to ensure they will fit your needs.  This should be done prior to registering for the course.

Will the course run if it rains?

The course runs rain or shine.  Please come prepared with rain gear.

How many hours long is the course?  How many days does it take?

The Basic RiderCourse is a total of 15 hours.  5 hours of the course involves classroom instruction.  10 hours are spent on the riding range with on-cycle instruction.  The Basic Rider Course is completed in 2 consecutive days.  We offer weekend and weekday schedules.

The Experienced RiderCourse is 6 hours and is completed in 1 day.

Call us at 781-974-2474 if you have additional questions about the schedule.

How do I enroll?

To enroll, click on the “Course Description and Registration” link at the top the web page.  Review the schedule and select the course that you would like.  Then pay to reserve your spot in the class.  If you need further assistance, call 781-974-2474

How will I know if I am scheduled for the date that I selected?

We will send a confirmation letter either by email or U.S. mail.  The confirmation letter will contain your confirmation number, class code, a detailed schedule of the class dates and times, directions to the site, and a list of things that you should bring to the classroom and riding sessions.  If you do not receive the confirmation letter within a few days, call us at 781-974-2474 to make sure that your registration was received.

When are classes held?

Classes are held on weekends and weekdays. You can view the schedule on our web site or call us at 781-974-2474.

Where are the classes held?

Classes no longer held at the former Stop & Shop Distribution Center at 100 Meadow Rd. Boston, MA 02136 (in the Readville section of Hyde Park).

There is a bus service that takes you from downtown Boston to our Raynham site. Check www.bloombus.com for more information.

We offer classes at these sites:

At MOM South Motorcycle Dealership at 1000 Washington St (Route 1) in Foxboro, MA, just 1.5 miles south of Gillette Stadium.


At the former Raynham / Taunton Greyhound Dog Racing Track at 1958 Broadway, Raynham, MA


What should I do if I need to reschedule or cancel my class?

If you need to cancel or reschedule a class, follow the instructions below.

Cancellation Policy: To receive a refund, a request must be sent in writing (US Mail, e-mail – see our “Contact Us” link) and received by Streetwise Cycle School more than 10 days prior to the start of the course. All cancellations that are made more than 10 days prior to the start of the course will be charged a $50 cancellation fee. NO REFUNDS WILL BE MADE TO STUDENTS WHO CANCEL WITH LESS THAN 10 DAYS WRITTEN NOTICE, ARE LATE TO CLASS, DISMISSED, VOLUNTARILY LEAVE, DO NOT PASS A WRITTEN OR RIDING EVALUATION, HAVE PREVIOUSLY RESCHEDULED, OR MISS A SEGMENT OF EITHER COURSE.

Below is an outline of fees for canceling based on how much notice you give us:

Amount of notice: Cancellation Fee:
More than 10 days $50
Less than 10 days No cancellations allowed with less than 10 days notice.  You can re-schedule to another date in the same calendar year (subject to space availability).  Refer to the reschedule fees below.

Reschedule Policy: Students may reschedule to another class within the calendar year one time, space permitting. All reschedule requests must be sent to Streetwise Cycle School in writing (US Mail, e-mail – see our “Contact Us” link).  All reschedule requests that are received more than 7 days prior to the start of the course will be charged a $25 reschedule fee. All reschedule requests that are received between 7 and 2 days prior to the start of the course will be charged a $100 reschedule fee.  THERE WILL BE NO RESCHEDULING OF A CLASS WITHIN 48 HOURS OF THE START OF THE COURSE.

Below is an outline of fees for rescheduling based on how much notice you give us:

Amount of notice: Reschedule Fee:
More than 7 days $25
Less than 7 days, but more than 2 days $100 if you reschedule
within 48 hours of the start of the course This is considered a cancellation.  No refund is available.  Full tuition is forfeited.

If we experience severe weather (i.e. extremely high winds, lightning, snow, or ice), the class may need to be cancelled.  Also, there may be occasions where the site becomes unavailable due to  things such as unexpected repairs.  If a course is cancelled for these types of things, tuition will be fully refunded.

If I would like to learn on my own prior to the class, are there any resources that I can use?

Review the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicle’s Motorcycle Operator’s Manual.

You can preview this book by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation:
Basic Rider Course Handbook.
(You can only view it on-line. You cannot print it out.)

In the Experienced RiderCourse, I need to use my own motorcycle.  Are there any special requirements for my motorcycle?

Your motorcycle needs to pass a pre-ride inspection.  It should have current insurance, registration, and a state inspection sticker.  Also, please make sure that the exhaust is legal (No straight pipes, please.  Street legal aftermarket exhausts are OK.)