- Tuition: $349 on one of our training motorcycles. Note: You can choose to use our motorcycle with an automatic transmission for an additional $50 (Due to the limited availability of automatic motorcycles in our fleet, you must contact us in advance letting us know that you would like to have an automatic motorcycle made available to you. We will send a $50 electronic invoice to your email for the additional cost).
- The Basic Rider Course is the best place to start once you’ve made the decision to ride.
- Covers the basics of operating a motorcycle and safety-oriented mental strategies.
- Designed for the student with little or no riding experience. The only prerequisite is that you can ride a pedal bicycle and that you have a driver’s license or permit.
- Motorcycles (250cc or less) are provided at no additional charge.
- If you do not own a helmet, you can borrow one from us.
- Successful completion of this course will waive the need for a RMV Motorcycle Road Test. (If you do not already have a motorcycle permit, you will need to one from the RMV within 90 days of completing the course. For more information, click on the “License Steps” link or see the FAQ page.)
- This 2-Day course consists of: a 3-hour eCourse; ten hours of on-motorcycle instruction (including a skill evaluation); and 1 hour of motorcycle safety activities/discussions.
- A course completion card will provide a limited 10% discount on your Massachusetts motorcycle insurance.
- Get Motorcycle Manufacturers’ Incentives! Many motorcycle manufacturers offer tuition reimbursement or other incentives for students who successfully complete the Basic Rider Course. Check with you local dealer for more information on incentive programs.
We offer Honda Rebel 250s, Honda Nighthawk 250s, Suzuki DR200SE, Suzuki GZ250s, and Kawasaki Eliminator 125s:
- Challenges of Motorcycling
- Motorcycle controls
- Rider and motorcycle preparation
- Basic riding skills
- Street strategies
- Special riding situations
- Advanced turning and braking skills
- Dangers of riding impaired
Riding sessions cover:
- Clutch control
- Straight-line riding
- Limited Space Maneuvering
- Avoiding Hazards