“I would like to get my motorcycle license as a result of passing the course, without taking the RMV Road Test.  How does this work?”

license steps
Get your Motorcycle License!

If you complete and pass the Basic, BRC2 / Experienced, or Returning Rider Course (including a written knowledge test and riding skills evaluation) and you give us a PHOTOCOPY of your MA Motorcycle Permit, you will get your motorcycle license without the need for the RMV Road Test.  Follow the 3 Steps outlined below:

STEP 1: Register for a Motorcycle Course
Register and Pay for the Basic Rider Course on our web site.
Note: If you have at least 1,000 miles of recent riding experience and you have your own motorcycle, you can take the BRC2 / Experienced Rider Course rather than the Basic Rider Course.  If you have riding experience, but you do not have a motorcycle, you can use one of our training motorcycles in the BRC – Returning Rider Course.

STEP 2: Get your Permit
Go to the RMV to take the permit test. You need to get 18 out of 25 multiple-choice questions correct to pass.
To study for the permit test, you should read the Motorcycle Operator’s Manual.

If there are no current virus restrictions, you do NOT need an appointment. Get there at least 2 hours before closing time.  Note: there are temporary procedures in place during the COVID-19 situation.  You will make an appointment on the RMV web site.  Go to the RMV to identify yourself and take an eyesight examination.  Get a reference number to be used when taking your permit test from home.  Then, take the permit exam at home.  You will be able to print your own permit at home.

You also need to bring the documents that are required for a “REAL ID” or to prove “Lawful Presence”.

You can see the list of required documents on the state web site:

After reading that page, you can then click on the “document checklist”.

The fee for the motorcycle permit is $30.
Tell them that you plan to take a Motorcycle Safety class and pay the motorcycle endorsement fee ($3 per year remaining on your license = $15 for 5 years).
By completing the “Lawful Presence” or “REAL ID” process and paying the motorcycle endorsement fee, you will receive your license in the mail rather than needing to physically visit the RMV to get your motorcycle license once you pass the motorcycle course.

If you are not able to get a permit before your class, you can still take the Basic or Returning Rider Course.  Just bring a photocopy of your driver’s license to class.  When you pass the class, we will update the RMV licensing database to tell them when you passed the course.  Then, soon after the class (within 90 days), go to the RMV to get your permit and complete the “Lawful Presence” or “REAL ID” and payment processes as described above in this “Step 2: Get you Permit” section.  Once you pass the permit test, go back to the RMV counter to upgrade your permit to a motorcycle license.

STEP 3: Give us a PHOTOCOPY of your motorcycle permit or Driver’s License
Bring a PHOTOCOPY of your motorcycle permit to your Basic, Returning Rider, or BRC2 / Experienced Rider Course. As mentioned above, if you do not have your motorcycle permit, you can still take the Basic or Returning Rider Course.  In that case, bring a photocopy of your driver’s license to class.

When you pass the course, Streetwise Cycle School will notify the RMV on their licensing web site.
If your record on the RMV database is clear (i.e. you hold a valid motorcycle permit, you don’t owe money, and you have completed the “Lawful Presence” or “REAL ID” process), they will mail your new Massachusetts Motorcycle License within 15 business days of passing the course.

Other notes to help make the RMV License process go smoothly:

  1. All unpaid parking violations, Fast Lane violations, outstanding excises taxes, outstanding court warrants, citations or unfulfilled child support obligations must be resolved before an endorsement can be issued.

  2. Make sure that the Registry has your proper mailing address.

  3. If under 18 years of age, you must:

    1. Have a Driver Education Certificate issued by the RMV.

    2. Have held your Cass D or M permit for a minimum of 6 months.

If there are any issues (i.e. you did not provide a copy of your valid driver’s license or motorcycle permit), you will have 90 days to resolve issues (i.e. get a motorcycle permit, pay outstanding obligations, complete the “Lawful Presence” or “REAL ID” process, pay the motorcycle endorsement fee) and get a copy of your motorcycle permit to us.